How to Prepare for Your Newborn
For months, you have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of your little one. But are you prepared for your new bundle of joy? The list of must-have newborn items is never-ending, but there are some items that are an absolute necessity for your baby’s arrival.
1. A Crib and Linens
Your newborn needs a comfortable, safe place to sleep. There are a dizzying number of cribs on the market today, so finding the right one can be a daunting task. Start early and weigh your options carefully.
Popular crib types include:
- Co-sleeping cots, which allow mom and baby to co-sleep without sacrificing mom’s comfort or the baby’s safety. These cribs are ideal for the first few months of life.
- Classic crib. A well-made crib can last many years and even be passed down a generation. Just be cautious of second-hand cribs that may not meet the safety standards of a modern model.
- Convertible cribs, which have detachable rails and heads to convert the crib into a bed.
Along with the crib itself, you will need to buy a mattress and linens. Choose a breathable fabric for your linens, such as cotton.
Naturally, your bundle of joy will need clothing. There’s no need to go too crazy here because your little one will grow out of each size very quickly. Make sure that you have:
- Plenty of onesies
- Receiving blankets
- Sweater and hat
- Socks and booties
- Infant gowns
Make sure that you’re prepared for upcoming seasons. If winter is right around the corner, make sure that your newborn is ready with a quality infant winter coat.
A stroller is another essential item for your newborn. Choosing a stroller isn’t a decision that you should take lightly. Along with safety, you have to consider comfort, practicality and versatility.
Like cribs, there are many different types of strollers to choose from:
- Full-size strollers: A versatile stroller that you can use from day one. They offer plenty of storage to hold all of your gear. Some have travel systems, so they can transition from car seat to stroller seamlessly.
- Jogging strollers: Ideal for parents who want to run with their babies. These strollers have improved shock absorption and increased stability.
- Umbrella strollers: Lightweight and travel-friendly. Umbrella strollers are great for use when running errands around town, but don’t offer a lot of storage or stability.
- Double stroller: Allow you to transport multiple children at once with two or more seats.
Finding the right stroller can be a daunting task. Babys on Wheels has a stroller for every need and can help you find the right model for your newborn.
Before you bring your little one home, stock up on diapers – a lot of them. Those first few weeks will be stressful and hectic. Make sure that you have enough diapers to at least get you through the first week. This will give you time to settle in without having to worry about running out to get baby changing supplies.
5. Rear-Facing Infant Car Seat
To ensure your baby gets home safely, you must have a rear-facing infant car seat. Your newborn’s car seat should be rated up to 20 pounds and meet the current safety standards.
Many rear-facing car seats can double as a baby carrier. Some can even snap into a stroller for even more versatility.
While you will need many items for your newborn, these are five of the most important. Being prepared for your little one’s arrival will allow you to focus on caring for and bonding with your newborn instead of scrambling to get last-minute supplies.